- Percent means out of 100 and also is another name for hundredths. (Example: 50% means 50 out of 100 or 1/2 or 0.5)
- A fractional percent includes a portion of a percent. (Example: 1/2%, 0.07%, 10 1/4%, 88.1%)
* Remember that this information can also be represented as a picture.
- Fractions, decimals, and percents can be used to represent numbers in various situations.(Example: Sharing a cake equally among 4 of your friends, including yourself.)
- Percents can be written as a decimal or a percent.
- Mental math strategies such as halving, doubling, and dividing by 10 to find the answer can be applied to some numbers.
- To calculate the percent of a number, first write the percent as a decimal then multiply by the number.
- Percents can be combined using addition to solve problems.
- Percents of percents can be used to determine amounts that result from consecutive percent increase or decrease.