- Understanding Percents
- means out of a hundred.
- another word for hundreths.
- 65% means 65 out of 100 0r 65/100 or 6.5
- a percent that includes a portion of a percent such as:
- 1/2, 0.42%, 7 3/8%, 125, 3/4%, 4.5%
4.1: Representing Percents
- fractions, decimals, and percents can be used to represent numbers in various situations.
- percents can be written as fractions and as decimals.
- eg. 1/2% = 0.5%,
- 150% = 150/100
- you can convert and/or represent fractions, decimals and percents.
4.3: Percent of a Number
- you can use mental math strategies such as halving, doubling and dividing to find the percent of some questions.
- To calculate the percent of a number, write the percent as a decimal then multiply by that number.
- percents can be combined by adding to solve problems.
- eg. 5% + 7% = 12%
- To calculate the increase in a number, you can add the combined percent amount to the original number.
- eg. 12% of 100 = 0.12 x 100 = 12
- percents of percents can be used to determine amounts that result from consecutive percent increase or decreases.