Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Julibella's 2 Minutes Reflection



Poverty in Winnipeg: First Draft




Poverty in Winnipeg: Final Draft



  • Please reflect and talk about the changes you made between the first and final cut of your movie. Were the student comments helpful in making your final cut better?

  • Some changes that I made between the first and final cut of my movie were that I took out certain information because it was too much to read and I thought that it wasn't as important as the other information on my slides. I also changed one of my pictures. I added voice at the end, but only saying our names. I also added in my final draft my evidence of my expert because in the first draft I didn't show anything. The comments on the blog really helped me because they thought it'd be better to find another picture instead of having the same one for 4 different facts.

  • How did you find your expert? List 3 important points your expert added to your movie. What did you learn from your expert?

  • I found my expert from Winnipeg Harvest. I used to volunteer there and I knew some people that could help me with an interview. Some points I added to my video were that 1/3 of immigrants that live in Canada will be in poverty. Over 23000 children receive emergency food from Winnipeg Harvest. And that Manitoba is in the top 3 provinces for child poverty rates in Canada with 1/5 children living in poverty. I learned that there are around 5800 people who live in poverty in Winnipeg and that 3% of food bank users are homeless. I also learned that there are many ways to prevent poverty from occurring. Basically my expert, Meghan said that we just have to aware our community that poverty is a really big thing in Winnipeg. Also, just letting people know their rights. We could also help by volunteering at soup kitchens or food banks.

  • What was your greatest success in the 2 minutes project. What skills will you take away with you and use in the future?

  • I think my greatest success in the 2 minutes project was finding a lot of information and volunteering. I found out more than I needed to put on my video, but it will really help in the future someday. A skill I will take away with me in the future are being confident enough to be at an interview and talk to my expert professionally and successfully.

  • What frustrated you during the movie making process? What strategies did you use to become successful?

  • Some things that frustrated me during the movie making process were having more information than pictures and also finding music that I thought would fit. Strategies I used to become successful were putting 2 or 3 facts at most on a picture if I needed to instead of having just a black background. Another strategy was just being patient to listen to a lot of different kinds of music that would fit my topic. It took a while to find a song but I think it was worth it.

  • Why is the 2 Minutes project important to Grade 8 Students?

  • The 2 Minutes project is important to Grade 8 Students because we need to know that even though we are at such a young age, we can still make a difference in the world and have a say in anything we believe. It's important because we wanted to let the people become aware of what issues are going on in that world that we truly care about. We all have voices it's just how we use it that matters.

  • How will you make a difference in the future?

  • I will make a difference in the future by telling people that there are more people that have it way worse than us. Making sure that they are aware of what is going on either in the world or right in our community. So we have to give back to them and let the people who are struggling know that they are not alone. If we come together we will all form a beautiful united community.

    1 comment:

    1. Great job, JB! You shown your knowledge of poverty in a strong way. I really liked your choice of vocabulary that really made the support of your questions more powerful.

      ReplyDelete