Sunday, November 7, 2010

Shenna's Pythagoras Scribe Post

Questions 3,8,11 and 16 from pages 91-94 in the math textbook.

3. For the triangle shown, Kendra wrote the Pythagorean relationship as r2 = p2 + q2.  Is she correct? Explain.

Kendra's not correct. The side p is the hypotenuse. It should be like this:  p2 = r2 + q 

8. Is the triangle shown a right triangle? Explain your reasoning.
 


 The triangle isn't a right triangle because the area of the 20 cm2 plus the area of 40 cm2 doesn't equal to the area of 50 cm2.

11. The side lengths of a triangle are 5 cm, 6 cm, and 8 cm. Determine whether the triangle is a right triangle. Explain.



The triangle isn't a right triangle because the area of the square of the two shorter sides doesn't equal to the area of the hypotenuse which is the longest side.

52 = 25,   62 = 36,   82 = 64                      25 + 36 = 64  61

16. Baldeep is building a wooden box for storing coloured pencils. The box will have rectangular sides that are 12 cm wide and 20 cm long. Show how Baldeep can be sure the sides are rectangular, without using a protractor.

He has to make sure that areas of the squares for width plus the areas of the squares for length should equal the area of the square the diagonal of the rectangle can be draw on.

10 comments:

  1. Excellent post, Shenna. It was very neat and organized. I liked how you explained your answers with color, to get peoples' attention. Next time, add a video and a link if that may help other people. Overall, you did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice post Shenna. It's very colorful. It really helped when I got a question wrong. Next time add a video and a link to your post to make it better. Other than that, great job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing post, Shenna! It's quite colorful, which I enjoy, and it really helped me with the questions that I was stuck on. Next time, you should add a video and a link to make your scribe more interesting. Nonetheless, you did a great job with your post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah! I wil make sure I'll put a video and a link next time. Thanks for the comments and suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post Shenna! I liked the colours you used and I agree with Raelynn, your post was very neat and organized. I'm glad you did those questions because some of them were the questions I struggled with. Next time maybe add a link or video to your post.(sorry, I would add one in my comment, but I cant find one right now, so I understand if that was hard for you). Once again great post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good job, Shenna I can see that you took your time to do this post, but next time add a link or vdeo to enhance your presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job on your post Shenna, I liked the you explained your work well. I also liked the colors but i think you shouldn't change the color for question 16 because it looks kind of confusing. Also add a video and a link, overall great job.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post Shenna. I liked how you explain each piece of work clearly. I think you should add a video or link next time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great job Shenna. I like that your post is neat and organized. I also like the colours that you used. Next time, you should try adding a video and a link. Other than that, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good job, Shenna! I liked all the pictures and all the colours!

    ReplyDelete