Thursday, March 17, 2011

Glenesse's Term 2 Reflection

Term 2 Reflection


In term 2 we had 3 units and they were percents, surface area, and volume. I thought I did well on surface area and volume because it was just plain adding, subtracting, multiplying, and dividing using different formulas. I struggled in remembering all the formulas because there are a lot. One main thing I have to work on next term and in all my classes is to talk more. All comments that I had to work on from the teachers was to talk more in class. I hope I will have the courage to talk more in class.

In percents I learned many things. I learned how to convert fractions to decimals to percents and it can go in any order. I learned percents are out of 100 and you can represent percents on 100 grids. To represent a fraction percent, we had to shade part of one square. We can use mental math in finding out percents in numbers and also using ratio tables. You can also combine percents by adding to solve problems.

In surface area I also learned many things. I learned that there are formulas on finding the surface area. For rectangular prisms the formula is l x w. A rectangular prism has six faces and the opposite sides are equal. For a triangular prism the formula is b x h/2 then l x w. A triangular prism has 5 faces, 2 triangles, and 3 rectangles. For a cylinder there are many formulas. You can find the diameter, radius or circumference. The easiest formula for me to use is (2 π x r x r) + (2 x r x π x h) = TSA.

In volume I also learned many things. I learned that there are also formulas to finding out the volume. When they already give you the base and height, you can just use the formula, Area of base x height. If they don’t give you the base, there are formulas for each object to find the volume. For a rectangular prism, it’s v=l x w x h. For a triangular prism, the formulas is
v=b x h (height of triangle) / 2 X height (height of prism). For a cube, the formula is v=s x s x s and the formula for a cylinder is v=π x r x r x h. The difference with volume and surface area is that volume is how much area it holds and a surface area is the area on the outside.

No comments:

Post a Comment